Sunday, December 12, 2010

Why am I here and why is the name of my blog not funny?

Background
A little background on whats been going on with my life? Well not much. Its been a lot of travel through the US. In the past few months I've been to... Atlanta, Vancouver, LA, SF, Hou, Aus, NYC, Bos, DC, Chi, and I might be missing a place here or there. Soon I shall be starting work and thought I should waste a little bit of money so why not go to Europe (and possibly Dubai, Iran, India, and China <- although this dream is starting to die. Sorry fobs that might read my blog). So I bought a one way ticket and here I am.

Why blogspot.com and not tumblr.com? Why even a blog?
I am not a hipster and I don't write poems about peaches. I've always wanted to write a blog. You know I like the idea of people following me and reading about me. Feel kinda famous. So please feed the ego and comment on my shitz.

Why you should follow(prefer read) my blog?
I like to think I am very fun and interesting and I have good stories. (As I am writing this, my fear of letting people down and not being entertaining is starting to set it). ALSO I have sold my soul and made a blog so this better be good. Now I know that I have many different kind of friends(Nadia says I don't have any friends) so for each of you I promise to give you what you want.

Some of my friends might like famous places

Some might like food?

Some might like more food (this is the biggest chipotle I have ever seen). I keep telling people about it just cause it was so amazing. Not only was the guy not able to close it but he had to take some of it out just so he could close it.

Some of my friends want to be hipsters, so they want to see hipster pictures

Some of my friends might want to see me just acting a fool

And some people (my mom) will want to see me smiling and being a fob. Most of my pictures will be of this nature because I suspect that my mom will be the only one that will still follow me after a while.

Finally, I hope I can provide insight into different cultures and observations I make.


Where am I going?
Paris on 15th
Amsterdam on 18th with Sepanta and Naz
Brussels on 21st with Sepanta as Naz goes back home
Aachen on 22nd with Sepanta. Kick it there with his family
Paris on 25th
Arya comes on 28th
Barcelona on 1st with Miriam Sepanta and Arya (thank you Idin for the suggestions)
     Want to couch surf here. Check me out being a real nomad        http://www.couchsurfing.org/people/arashmajdi/
Madrid on 5th and meeting up with Mahtab(still need to get tickets. Any suggestion on what form of transportation?)
Valencia on the 8th and seeing Yasmin(Need to get tickets toooo)
Paris on 11th? (I only say this because I might go somewhere else after Valencia)
School for Seppy starts on 31st of Jan and I have to be back in February.

Places I want to go
Strausburg to see Amin
Zurich to see family
Munich to see family again
Tours cause Miriam promised its the best city ever and I will have fun
Florence?
London?
Rome?
Milan?
Naples?
Marrakech?
Athens?
Where should I go?


What I hope to accomplish from my journey?

  • Have fun with sister
  • Become closer friends with Seppy and not want to kill each other
  • See Arya's hipster gear
  • Make a short film of my trips and maybe a movie? Although looks unlikely.
  • Expand my mind.
  • Fall in love and out of love.
  • Have great memories
  • Couch Surf
  • OSG
  • Have fun

Really good song been listening all day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07mVsQA-awQ&feature=youtu.be


Why my title is actually funny.
I'll break this down into two parts. The very layman version and the one thats a little more technical. If you venture down to the more technical part I promise a picture.

TSP stands for Travelling Salesman Problem(TSP) . Now what does this mean? So if you start somewhere and you want to hit certain locations, what is the best(can be low cost or shortest way) way to hit all those cities. This is a "hard" problem to solve cause there are a lot of combinations. THE REASON my title is funny, is because this is what I am doing through Europe. Trying to hit so many cities and come back to a location. And this paragraph just stopped a few people from deciding to read any more posts.

More "technical"
Now lets consider the wiki example of 15 cities in Germany.


There is 15! ways or 43,589,145,600 ways to start form somewhere and come back to the same location. Thats a lot. even a fast computer program will run a million iterations a second. When you say hard, it means that you can solve it but just take a long amount of time. Since this is factorial each time it raises not by a constant factor like 2 but its exponential (pretty much but even faster than exponential). I like peanut butter and a little bit of Oreo Cookies sprinkled in between. Computer scientist hate that. Now a "cool" (have quotes cause only me and like two other people would think this is cool) example that was done at GT they did a TSP on Mona Lisa with 100,000 "cities". Below is the resulting route.

Since this is hard to solve you find near optimal solutions.


Whats next?
I will soon leave the US. Be without a phone.
If you want to reach me you can call/text me at (its US number you won't get charged)
917-475-6765
email me at: majdi.arash@gmail.com

Adios and love me :-).


Special thanks.
Thank you Nadia for editing my post. BTW guys she's an English major.
Thank you Dan for ALSO editing my post.

I will be writing these posts when I am tired and possibly had too much orange juice. I welcome edits. You will also get special thanks.


Update on post:
this is a chat between Dan and I. He went to Tech. I warn you. Don't read this unless you have math background and youre really really tired



Dan: nice
12:14 AM and it's not combinations, it's permutations
  for N cities, there's N! paths
  that's a permutation
  not a combinatorial choice
12:15 AM me: meh
  combintorial problem
 Dan: it's not big O faster than an exponential
  but, yea
12:16 AM me: it is
 Dan: factorial to exponential?
 me: ! is faster than exponential
 Dan: check yoself
  and think about it
 me: it is
 Dan: n^n vs n*(n-1)
 me: 2^x
  its n!
  n! grows faster
 Dan: right, so even less
12:17 AM n^n is n*n*n... N times
  n! is n*(n-1)*(n-2)....
  anyways
12:18 AM i'm subtracting from the main take-away
12:19 AM me: wait
  no
  2^n is still factorial
  i mean expoential
  n^n is super factorial
 Dan: super factorial is n!!

In retrospect, Dan is somewhat right, but being a dick.

5 comments: