Friday, December 31, 2010

I went to Strausburg before it got all touristy.



Song(thank you Sara Mokhtari Fox):

Back to Paris:
Some how Paris seemed like home. I was so happy to come back. There is just something about Paris. It might be the life or the pleasure of being able to pop your collar without everyone assuming youre a douche bag (this is because everyone in Paris is a douche and pops their collar). Which reminds me, there was a French guy in my masters class that used to pop his collar every day (like every day he had a polo and would keep it poped). I used to think you were a douche, but now I understand that you were just Parisian.

Maybe I was so happy because the first metro we got on I saw this

Now, I don't believe in signs but somehow I knew Paris was my city (my is such a strong word).

For Neda I wasn't going to post this but look at what this kid was wearing on the metro:
Looks just like the dad. I've never see so many well dressed kids.
Miriam was in town and she kept begging me to hang out :) so we met up with her and went to Notre Dame and I finally took a picture of it.


The inside is just crazy. I keep saying there is nothing in the US that is like this. Sacre Coeur's inside with its mega jesus still beats ND's inside not because of its size or architecture but when you look at mega jesus you feel like jesus is about to own you (if any of my christian readers which i am sure is no one is offended, I am sorry but mega jesus is cool)
Miriam, I and Hind(?) aka Miriam's cousin
We then wandered the city. Saw an ice skating rink and saw the funniest shit ever. BUT since seppy has the video he will post it. So don't check out his blog, its really not that good. Being good middle easterners, we ended the night with hookah and tea. It was 29euro for hookah and 4 small drinks. Damn Egyptians. I only say this cause I am running kinda low on cash (not really but I write this so i get an email from the parents and being like "OMG ARASH DO YOU NEED MONEY?!??!?!" look at me being shady)
Then we went back chilled for a bit. Realized Miriam never says what she wants and beats around the bush. Then I practiced kissing for new years.

I was going to be in Paris a few days and I had promised Ali's brother that I would go see him in STRAUSBURG. I've also realized that I have gone to Europe and gone to such cities as Brussels, Aachen and now Strausburg. That's how real hipsters do. You probably have never heard of any of those cities. I think Ill go to Tours or Leeds.

I am looking up tickets to go to Strausburg and then my friend Miriam tells me about this great thing called the 1225 card which she has and you pay 50 euro for to show that you are under 25 and discount on your train. She also says the the never check and that I can use hers. I get excited. Something happens and she can't give me hers and I take Seppys. Get a round trip ticket for 84 euro (originally was going to pay 110 euro) and first class each way. So happy.

You can get ID picture taken (sorry for the all the detail but it adds to the story. Oh I am also esfoonie if this helps) in the metro, but its 5 euro for 5 pictures. Its really expensive but I was like meh, I am ballin lets do it. Get my pictures. Get on the train (delayed 2 hours because of this blizzard that has decided to ruin my fun).
Look at how nice first class is.
I am sitting being all boujie. Then after an hour the ticket checker guy comes and takes me ticket. Scans is and is like where is your 1225 card. I am like FUCKKKKK DAMN YOU MIRIAM!!!!!! He checks it then asks for my passport and is like this isnt you (obvs in frenchie accent). I am like FUCKKKK. He's like come with me. So I create an elaborate story about how I was in an rush and mistakingly took Seppys card. Blah blah blah. Not buying it. He's like 200 euro fine. I was like NOOO. i keep talking to him and I am like this is crazy and hes like I will call the cops. I am thinking to myself. I can just run but thats ghetto. I keep talkign to him and hes like 100 euro. I pay the 100 euro. The moral of this story, I've been braking laws in Europe for fun but it might come to an end. GOD SO MAD. I got greedy. Also I think in America I would have gotten away with it. Hate the French.

Trying something new. Instead of songs, I give you cute cats:




STRAUSBURG(sounds like a heavy metal band?):
Get there super late. My hosts are Haniyeh and Amen.

Ali Ehteshami's brother Amin.
Went to UMass Amhearst.
Big ups to my UMass kids. Now hes
getting Masters in Philosophy (I know he'll be poor)
 from a school in Boston.
Amin's fiance. Getting a Masters in
photography (yes I got excited.). Speaks French
English and obvs Fobsi. 



I have pictures of them on their computers because well they were always on their computers :). Oh getting a Mac Air. Its still a little too thick, but what you going to do.
Haniyeh makes the best sausage ever

Then Amin and I start talking about
  • Morals - waste of time
  • Jealousy - shows you care
  • Better to be older or younger sibling? - Younger
Till 3 AM. Philosophy majors are the best to talk to.

Next day we head to the Strausburg Cathedral which was the worlds tallest building from 1647 to 1874
On our way I see this gem on the wall

Cathedral:
Its huge

Its really well made. Compared to Sacre Couer and ND its more detailed and I would say prettier but its super depressing. Despite that every time I would walk past it, I would be in awe regarding the detail inside and outside


Yes its jesus on top of bones
Again most impressive building I've seen regarding detail but very depressing. Your eyes are drawn to it because of its beauty but it humbles you. I guess thats the whole point. To make you feel insignificant and guilty. Amazing how a building can do that to you. Also it was super dark.

KITTY BREAK:

My first photography lesson:
Haniyeh being a photography master decided to impart to me my first lesson as a me a gifted photographer. The first lesson is why you take pictures, and for me is to preserve memories and good times. She told me that I should
  1. Take a lot of pictures without looking at what I am taking a picture of and from random angles
    1. This will help me see what I like
  2. Take less pictures and be more judicious
Other things learned were
  • You can tell a persons mood with how they look in pictures
  • If you take too many pictures people will change and you cant get a good picture of them
  • You should tell the peron you are taking picture of not to worry about a bad picture, because if its bad youll just delete it to put them at ease
  • People naturally know their good sides and in pictures they will pose that way. For example some people will only show one side of their face. Two examples are shown below
Sepanta:



As you can see big eyes, tongue sticking out. Looking silly. Its cause hes goofy.

Roshan:



Tilts her fact to 3/4 position. Tongue to the right. The right side of her tongue is her best side. Looking slightly off the camera. This is more because if the camera is on Roshan for too long, she freaks out.
With those lessons, watch out for my super good pictures I will be taking during the rest of my adventure.

Strausburg. Noel capital of the world, but really it wasn't amazing:
Being fobby in front of Xmas tree
So pretty.
Then we went ice skating. Amin and Haniyeh had never gone before so they hugged the sides

While I was sprinting around
I actually thought I was the best there. Which isn't saying much. So I started to get cocky. I dragged my back foot and then fell. My knee started to hurt but nbd. Learned my lesson. Theres a better picture of one side of my body being all white cause the skate rinks here are so bad and its like you are going on snow. We take our battle wounds and go back to the apt and sleep (other things happend but I am going to be less detailed?)

CAT BREAK:


Next day:
Wake up super late go get Lebanese food
I realize I hate Lebanese people and food and throw it up (I am kidding love you Ahmed. I mean Habibi. It was good).

We head to Orangie(?) which is a large park in Strausburg. I walked and Haniyeh used Amin the whole way.
It must be love, or marriage.

On the way there we kept taking pictures.
Look at this picture. Its me taking a picture of Haniyeh taking a picture of Amin taking a picture Haniyeh.
So hipster.
This is how they carry kids in Strausburg


The lake froze over. The cold follows me everywhere.

CAT BREAK:


Things I shouldn't show but I think its the coolest thing ever:
I warn you that one of the pictures below is kinda weird but I think it was the coolest bathroom ever. We go into a bar where they had cassette tapes as decoration

But their bath room was the coolest bath room I had ever seen. It was a Mario theme.


The funny part was the on the guys side, when you closed the door, that was the picture you would look at.


And for the girls it was Mario flicking you off.

SOOOO COOOLLLLLLLLLL

Hokm:
Played

I lost :(
Meet my hokm partner.
Looked just like Natasha. It was scary. Haniyeh
making ash reshteh in the back. I was in heaven. Tea, ash, hookah,
and hokm.
 Then out of no where 6 fobs barged in.


And of course the conversation became about watermelons. I was in heaven. I knew I belong there with the fobs. Its what keeps our bond strong. Watermelon.
Last cat break :( :


Going back to Paris:
Next morning 6 AM train. Get back to Paris and I am greeted by ARYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
More on this later. 

Spoiler for next blog:
Take Arya around Paris while Seppy studies. New years in Paris.
HI ARYA!!!!!!!!!!

If you wanted to see where I got the cat videos from, check it out
http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/the-30-most-important-cats-of-2010

I am also poor/don't have my cash on me:
I have about 24 euros on me. I need to go get the rest of the cash I have.

EGO BOOST:

 Amin:  cool photo man
you take good pics
put the pics on fb soon
i really liked some of them

Haniyeh and Amin liked my photos. They were impressed by the angels.

Blog reviews:
 Petko:  i dont know if it is cute but i read it, some things were hilarious others were just well arash



 Dan:  a lot of stuff
maybe i should keep a blog?
but then
i wouldn't want to trump yours
and steal everyone's thunder
in this quest to see who can be more hipster



 Rosa:  majdi your blog is soooo funny
i'm so impressed
i'm sitting here at work just lol-ing my life away
you somehow managed to squeeze four of my favorite things into one post (fobs, arabs/habibis, hendooneh, photography)

9 comments:

  1. Read. Everybody watch the awesome video I am going to post (when I get around to it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my god. HOW DO YOU KNOW I FREAK OUT IF THE CAMERAS ON FOR TOO LONG?!?!?? also i liked the bathroom. also also i really like arya. TELL HIM HALLO. also also the cats are annoying. BYE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. remember when we went ice skating? remember i miss habibi? remember i've never met habibi? i'm also so honored to have been a part of the photo-face-sides feature. omg watermelon. omg fobs. omg i miss you

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha thanks for the shout out :) suggestion for improvements on cat breaks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSK1D3bZhRs&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome post man. Best one yet. Just so you know, I never listen to the songs or the videos you post. I don't know why, I just want to know what happened to you. (Now you're going to be like, "just so you know, I don't even read you blog)

    And you're like the first FOB I know who likes cats, wtf kinda fob are you? All persians I know hate cats.

    I laughed my ass off at how you got caught on the train without the proper ticket HA HA!!

    By the way, I love you and hope you get drunk as fuck tonight during new years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. read. sad you lost hokm :( how much did you yell?

    ReplyDelete
  7. also this made me lol
    "I realize I hate Lebanese people and food and throw it up (I am kidding love you Ahmed. I mean Habibi. It was good)."

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL Glad to hear you had fun. Still don't understand how you lost hokm...

    ReplyDelete
  9. o Habibiiiiiiiiiii man. Of course it was good !

    ReplyDelete